Director, Economic Policy Project
The Director of the Economic Policy Project is responsible for developing policy priorities that align with our organizational strategic goals, executing on policy and advocacy strategy, communicating policy positions, and leading in direct engagement with federal policymakers and administrators. They will be a member of the Policy and Advocacy component’s management team, overseeing a small but growing team of economic policy staff and consultants, working in coordination with other issue teams, and collaborating with colleagues across the organization to leverage all UnidosUS assets to advance economic priorities.
UnidosUS offers a collaborative, team-based environment that fosters a culture of ideas and debate. We approach our work from multiple perspectives and methods, understanding both the specific issues and their larger interrelated systems. This position will be a part of the senior management team and will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy.
The Director will be based in Washington, DC.
Management and Strategy
- Understand UnidosUS’s overall strategic direction; build and align an economic portfolio with the Policy and Advocacy management team in that context.
- Identify and measure goals and set tactics for the Economic Policy Project.
- Build substantive depth of UnidosUS in a range of economic policy issues, analyzing new and emerging economic policy issues that affect the Latino community, and developing policy analysis, recommendations, and solutions.
- Supervise and provide support of up to five staff dedicated to policy analysis, research, lobbying, and advocacy on multiple economic issues.
- Collaborate strategically with staff from across the organization to advance goals (e.g., program colleagues in Housing and Financial Empowerment; state policy staff; Affiliate Engagement team; Communications and Marketing).
- Coordinate, develop, and participate in public policy forums, summits, briefings, and others, events where relevant economic policy matters are discussed.
- Serve as a spokesperson on Latino economic policy priorities, representing UnidosUS priorities in internal and external meetings, and before congressional staff, policymakers/experts, and issue stakeholders.
- Work with media through our Communications and Marketing team, as appropriate.
- Participate in external economic policy advisory groups, boards, or committees as appropriate.
- Manage the production of high quality, timely, and relevant policy documents/materials in support of UnidosUS’s goals.
- Conduct and publish independent policy analysis on relevant economic policy issues.
- Provide support and guidance on economic policy documents, including issue briefs, policy memoranda, regulatory comments, public testimony, talking points for the UnidosUS President and CEO, and journal articles developed by the economic policy team.
Fundraising and Budgeting
- Manage a budget of $600,000 to $1 million for economic security and employment policy activities.
- Lead and support fundraising efforts to maintain and grow economic policy activities and manage key funder relationships.
- Responsible for all internal and external relationship management related to economic policy activities with foundations and the media.
- Master’s degree required.
- Twelve (12) to sixteen (16) years of relevant experience in policy/legislative environment.
- A minimum of five (5) years of management experience required.
- Relevant experience conducting policy analysis and developing economic policy solutions.
- Experience managing a large budget preferred.
- Experience with and understanding of economic issues facing Latino and immigrant communities.
- Prior experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as congressional hearings, major conferences, or written materials such as reports or issue briefs.
- Previous experience in supervising and growing a team, fundraising, and managing funder relationships.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values (Excellence, Accountability, Respeto).
- Commitment to the U.S. Latino community, Latino non-profit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in non-profits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Excellent communication, written, oral, editorial, and analytical skills required.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborate across the organization, and take initiative, as well as work effectively under tight deadlines, and coordinate multiple projects.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, more specifically Office 365, statistical software, data sources, and internet queries required.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample will be considered for this opportunity.
SEND COVER LETTER, RÉSUMÉ, AND WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Subject Line: Director, Economic Policy Project
Attn: SVP, Policy Advocacy
No phone calls please!
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion of a background screen.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.