The Director of Operations within the Policy and Advocacy component will oversee the component’s program planning processes, track the progress of teams against component priorities, support the coordination of fundraising efforts, track and monitor budgets, and lead human resources development/management.
The Director will help lead and support the management team and drive efforts to improve processes and procedures that improve performance and impact. The Director will be jointly supervised by the Deputy Vice President of Policy and Development and the Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy.
Management and Operations
- Manage the component’s program planning and results tracking efforts.
- Manage and support component management team meetings and component staff meetings.
- Supervise or co-supervise staff on the Administrative/Operations team.
- Support Policy Project Directors, help fill programmatic gaps, and support staff to carry out deliverables and troubleshoot where necessary.
- Lead component-wide efforts to improve efficiency and organizational effectiveness, including usage of technology and digital platforms.
- Work collaboratively with other teams within the organization (finance/accounting, human resources, and IT infrastructure) to support staff and Policy Projects.
- Support DVP for Policy and Development in fundraising activities.
Budgeting, Finance, Accounting
- Manage and work collaboratively on the annual and mid-year component budget processes.
- Manage the processes to monitor, track, and report on the financial status of the component.
- Ensure the quality control of financials.
- Support contract development, negotiation and management, service agreements, grant agreements, and other transactions. Ensure that contract language is compliant with UnidosUS policies, with special attention paid to issues related to intellectual property, branding, and copyright.
- Oversee recruitment processes including managing consultants and working with hiring managers to apply best practices.
- Manage the development, improvement, and implementation of a robust orientation/onboarding process for staff.
- Oversee and support systems for training and professional development for managers and staff.
- Work collaboratively with UnidosUS Human Resources to ensure the component is complying with HR policies and that staff and managers are aware of policies.
- Manage and track the performance of staff and provide support for supervisors/managers to conduct timely evaluations of staff.
- Develop and manage a quality (competitive) internship program that ensures the experience of both interns and those that work with them is exceptional.
- Work proactively with HR, supervisors, and the senior management team to address conflicts or sensitive staffing/management issues as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred in operations, finance, business, public administration, or another business-related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in operations working as part of the leadership team.
- Experience managing a small administration/operations team.
- A deep commitment to the mission of the organization and its core values.
- A track record that demonstrates a high quality of performance and organizational integrity.
- Exceptional/advanced knowledge of the budget process.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Superior analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Familiarity with the U.S. Hispanic community, and Hispanic nonprofit organizations.
- Bilingual (Spanish English) skills are a plus.