The Financial Empowerment Program Specialist is responsible for implementing one of the key programs within the UnidosUS Housing and Financial Empowerment component.
The Financial Empowerment Network (FEN) is an initiative that mobilizes UnidosUS Affiliates that are service providers in their communities to become channels through which low- and moderate-income Latinos can access culturally relevant and linguistically appropriate financial coaching services. By opening these new channels, the FEN will help hundreds of people a year access this essential service and make meaningful changes in their financial lives, supporting thousands more to take steps on their own to improve their financial well-being, and educating tens of thousands in the process.
The Program Specialist’s responsibilities revolve around supporting a portfolio of the Affiliates participating in the project and managing a small portfolio of Affiliates engaged in housing counseling initiatives within the FEN. Additionally, the Program Specialist will be expected to collaborate with the Financial Empowerment Program Manager and the Financial Empowerment team to achieve the goals for the project. The Financial Empowerment Program Specialist will be directed on a day-to-day basis by the Financial Empowerment Program Manager. This person will report to the Financial Empowerment Program Manager and will be based in Los Angeles, CA; Phoenix, Arizona; or Washington, DC.
- Support a portfolio of Affiliates to successfully perform in the FEN through capacity-building, training, and technical assistance.
- These services will be provided through in-person meetings and site visits, regular phone calls and facilitation of group convenings.
- Liaise between the UnidosUS Counseling Connection team members and the Affiliates in the FEN, optimizing the collaboration, troubleshooting problems that arise, and ensuring successful adherence to the FEN’s established processes, which could include modifying processes and creating new ones where needed.
- Train Affiliates on the FEN’s data platform and client management system, Change Machine, and support their successful use of the system to track client progress and program performance.
- Conduct quality control work to ensure the effective use of Change Machine and the adherence to FEN processes among Affiliate partners and the UnidosUS Counseling Connection team.
- Support Affiliates’ implementation of the FEN. Synthesize and communicate their experiences with the FEN team to ensure ongoing improvements to the model.
- Develop and deliver trainings on a regular basis, including to new Affiliates joining the program, and to Affiliates and other organizations on financial empowerment subjects of increasing specificity over time.
- Use standardized practices and systems of the FEN to ensure that Affiliates are achieving the quality standards that UnidosUS expects.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required, or five (5) years of increasing responsibility in financial capability or housing counseling services.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience in the field of financial empowerment, housing services, asset building services, housing counseling knowledge, or a related field highly preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience in direct service provision required, or prior experience as a financial coach or housing counselor preferred.
- Demonstrated prior experience as a trainer, particularly through web-based and remote forums.
- Experience using data to assess a program’s performance preferred. Knowledge of SalesForce and Quickbase preferred.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values of Excellence, Accountability, Respeto.
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in nonprofits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and goals, prioritize among assignments, problem solve, and persist towards meeting goals.
- Excellent customer service and relationship-building skills (internal and external) and a professional attitude in representing UnidosUS to different audiences.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Be willing to travel on a variable schedule, on occasion reaching as high as 50% of work schedule post-pandemic.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.