The Manager, Health Communications will be part of the cross-component Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-funded Esperanza Hope for All Vaccine team focused on increasing adult COVID-19 and flu vaccination opportunities within Latino populations in the United States and Puerto Rico.
Housed in the UnidosUS Marketing and Communications component, The Manager will partner with the Senior Manager, Health Communications, within the Marketing and Communications component, and UnidosUS health experts to plan, develop, and execute bilingual public health marketing and communications outreach to provide the Latino community with culturally relevant and clear health information about the COVID-19 virus and vaccines. This includes everything from helping draft rapid-response social media content to helping to manage multi-month campaigns. The Manager will also be involved in supporting other deliverables in support of the organization’s health portfolio across policy and programs.
The candidate in this role will have demonstrated experience in integrated communications and will have duties that include researching and writing content for UnidosUS health-related webpages, social media, and other communications assets such as infographics, blogs, press releases, talking points, and/or e-newsletters; and collaborates to build relationships with external partners in collaboration with program and policy senior managers and directors.
This position reports directly to the Senior Manager, Health Communications; collaborates closely with them and other members of the Marketing and Communications and Health teams to ensure implementation of public health communications activities, deliverables, and reporting. The position will be based in Washington, DC.
- Partner with the Senior Manager, Health Communications and the Senior Director, Content Development to manage the day-to-day development and planning of public health communications and marketing strategies.
- Partner with internal health experts and other members of the UnidosUS Marketing and Communications team to establish public awareness communications on
strategies related to, but not limited to, the impact of COVID-19 on Latino communities.
- Assist with managing requests related to public health communications deliverables and support the management and execution of these deliverables across multiple projects.
- Research and write content for UnidosUS health-related webpages, social media, and other communications assets such as infographics, blogs, press releases, talking points, and/or e-newsletters.
- Collaborate on bilingual content creation with other teams within the Marketing and Communications component including Digital/Social Media, Events, Media Relations, and Editorial.
- Build relationships with external partners and influencers, in collaboration with the Senior Manager, Health Communications.
- Support the Senior Manager, Health Communications in the development and subsequent tracking and reporting of metrics in the form of reports with guidance from co-program directors, leadership, and funder(s).
- Other duties as required and assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in public health, communications, public affairs marketing, public relations, journalism, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience providing communications, social media, media outreach, and/or partnership engagement support for public health/health care and/or communications programs and campaigns.
- The ideal candidate will have experience or a strong interest in health care communications and/or related health issues. Experience working with coalitions and public-private partnerships is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in communicating complex health topics to different audiences and with a health literacy lens.
- Possess a solid understanding of the current public health and health care landscape and the relevant issues impacting the Latino community.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a project management role, including the ability to set direction, effectively troubleshoot when things go off track, and establish and document processes.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating health communication campaigns, initiatives, and products.
- Experience developing partnership engagement and outreach strategies (such as engaging stakeholders in local communities) in support of a campaign’s health communication objectives.
Skills & Abilities
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values of (Excellent, Accountability, Respeto).
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino non-profit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in non-profits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Should also have demonstrated ability to manage up, delegate, and work across departments/areas of expertise.
- Experience in successfully centering Latino or diverse populations, including children, young adults, and minority groups, or working with public health and/or education clients is highly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills are essential.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Experience managing social media platforms and/or web platforms (WordPress, Drupal, etc.) preferred.
- Experience leveraging project management software such as Basecamp
- Experience with Microsoft Office apps such as Teams, SharePoint, Planner, and One Note preferred.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.