Senior Housing Policy Analyst, Economic Policy Project
UnidosUs is seeking a Senior Housing Policy Analyst to join a team focused on advancing a new elevated organizational priority in housing and homeownership. This position is housed in the Policy and Advocacy component and reports to the Director of Economic Policy. The Senior Housing Policy Analyst will help develop and drive a policy agenda that works to eliminate barriers to asset-building for low to moderate income Latino families. The work entails developing and advancing regulatory policies and industry practices that address access to affordable housing and homeownership (wealth-building) opportunities. This person will promote budget and policy decisions to address longstanding economic and racial inequities stemming from systemic racism and provide Latino families with the opportunity for a secure economic future. Additional responsibilities include working with colleagues to plan and carry out advocacy campaigns and efforts at the federal and state level. The Senior Policy Analyst will conduct policy analyses, publish policy papers, issue briefs, and develop and share congressional testimony in a variety of lengths and formats for diverse audiences.
The Senior Policy Analyst will establish and nurture relationships with allies, Affiliates, partners, coalition members, and community leaders, and will convene as well as organize grasstops leaders on key housing priorities.
UnidosUS offers a collaborative, team-based environment that fosters a culture of ideas and debate. We approach our work from multiple perspectives and methods, understanding both the specific issues and the larger interrelated systems. Success in this role requires the Senior Policy Analyst to collaborate with colleagues in the UnidosUS policy, communications, legislative affairs, and programs teams to draw the linkages between economic policy and other issue areas impacting Latinos such as health care, education, and immigration. This position is based in Washington, DC.
- Develop and carry out project plans and advocacy campaigns to advance UnidosUS’ national housing policy agenda.
- Analyze emerging federal housing policy issues and state housing policy trends, including those reported by the UnidosUS Affiliate Network (grassroots organizations at the local level) and produce policy publications including issue briefs, white papers, conference papers, presentations, and testimony, using primary and secondary research sources.
- Serve as UnidosUS’s institutional expert on housing policy, focusing on rental and homeownership policy solutions that improve housing affordability for Latino families.
- Represent UnidosUS on housing policy issues in high-visibility forums, including meetings with congressional staff, policymakers, issue experts and stakeholders, national conferences, and the media.
- Lead, convene, and participate in coalitions of experts and advocates on select housing and homeownership policy issues.
- Provide strategic policy recommendations, as appropriate, to UnidosUS leadership, including the organization’s Cabinet and the President and CEO on housing policy.
- Bachelor’s degree required, and master’s degree preferred in relevant field of economics or public policy.
- Three (3) to (5) years of relevant housing, community or economic development policy experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of policy analysis, with a demonstrated ability to analyze and develop new policy ideas, is required.
- Extensive and strong writing ability, including developing and writing articles, studies, reports, or other publicly available documents is required.
- Knowledge of housing policy issues, including access to affordable housing and homeownership.
- Experience communicating housing policy ideas in public settings such as coalition meetings, congressional briefings, major conferences, and with the media.
- Robust experience working with underserved populations and strong cultural competence.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization or on Capitol Hill a plus.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values
(Excellence, Accountability, Respeto).
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino non-profit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in non-profits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Project management skills suited to a dynamic work environment with multiple ongoing responsibilities, tight deadlines, and expectations for high-quality work.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and
- Commitment to excellence and high
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and
- Acute attention to
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically Office 365.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample will be considered for this opportunity.
SEND COVER LETTER, RÉSUMÉ, AND WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Subject Line: Senior Housing Policy Analyst, Economic Policy Project
Attn: Deputy Vice President, Policy and Advocacy
No phone calls please!
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion of a background screen.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.