UnidosUS’s Policy and Advocacy component is one of the most influential and visible national advocacy think tanks championing public policy on behalf of Latinos. The Senior Policy Advisor for the Economic Policy Project is a subject matter expert in the area of social security, retirement/financial savings, portable retirement savings such as CALSavers, and social insurance programs such as disability and SSI.
This person will work to increase financial security and wealth-building opportunities for Latino families. They will also have in-depth knowledge of federal and state level policy related to these issue areas and bring substantive expertise to UnidosUS’s work on economic policy.
Responsibilities include leading research, writing, and public appearances in rapid-response and long-term analysis of data and programs, as well as producing high-quality and compelling written products such as policy papers, testimony, and reports. Success in this role requires a high degree of skill in analysis of social, economic, and public policy trends, as well as strong data analysis and visualization, flexibility, and collaboration with colleagues and external partners. This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy and is based in Washington, DC.
- Evaluate and analyze relevant economic public policies that affect the Latino community and advance racial equity.
- Serve as UnidosUS’s institutional expert and advise senior leadership on federal social insurance programs, specifically those relevant to providing financial security and building retirement savings and wealth, specializing in non-English speakers and immigrant workers/seniors.
- Lead and collaborate on policy publications including issue briefs, white papers, conference papers, presentations, and testimony.
- Lead and participate in coalitions of experts and advocates on economic issues.
- Represent UnidosUS in high-visibility forums, including delivering presentations and testimony before congressional staff, policymakers, issue experts and stakeholders, national conferences, and the media.
- Build and deepen relationships with relevant federal policymakers.
- Provide strategic recommendations, as appropriate, to UnidosUS leadership, including the president and CEO and the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree required, and master’s degree preferred in relevant field of economics, statistics, or public policy.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of applicable experience conducting research and/or policy analysis required.
- Demonstrated experience in statistical, quantitative analysis, and data visualization.
- In-depth experience communicating and presenting on public policy issues in policy settings.
- Demonstrated expertise with U.S. government programs focused on social insurance, retirement, and wealth-building.
- Robust experience in conducting and publishing policy analysis or research design and execution.
- Extensive and strong writing ability, including developing and writing articles, studies, reports, or other publicly available documents is required.
- Experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as coalition meetings, congressional briefings, major conferences, and with the media.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization or on Capitol Hill a plus.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values
(Excellence, Accountability, Respeto).
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino non-profit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in non-profits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to design and conduct quantitative analysis to examine work environment with multiple ongoing responsibilities, tight deadlines, and expectations for high-quality work.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365, statistical software, and data sources.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.