Senior Policy Analyst, Economic Policy Project
The Senior Policy Analyst, Economic Policy Project is housed in the Office of Policy and Advocacy and reports to the Senior Vice President. The Senior Policy Analyst will help develop and drive a policy agenda that works to eliminate barriers to asset-building; reforms banking and lending policies to include more robust consumer protections; supports efforts to raise wages and improve working conditions for Latinos; increasing housing affordability and expanding tax provisions that benefit Latino working families.
This position is responsible for identifying promising ideas, particularly in the areas of either banking/lending and consumer finance and housing policy. They will work with colleagues to plan and conduct rapid-response and long-term analyses of data, programs, and emerging issues. The Senior Policy Analyst will also write policy papers, issue briefs, and congressional testimony in a variety of lengths and formats for diverse audiences. In addition, this position will be responsible for convening an effective network of civil rights organizations, community leaders, researchers, and policymakers to effectively frame a federal economic policy agenda that invests in the future and targets policy solutions to the most vulnerable in our society.
UnidosUS offers a collaborative, team-based environment that fosters a culture of ideas and debate. We approach our work from multiple perspectives and methods, understanding both the specific issues and the larger interrelated systems. Success in this role requires the Senior Policy Analyst to collaborate with colleagues in UnidosUS policy, communications and marketing, legislative affairs, and programs teams to draw the linkages between economic policy and other issue areas impacting Latinos, such as health care, education, and immigration. The Senior Policy Analyst will report to the Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy and is based in Washington, DC.
- Develop and execute a project plan and agenda for evaluating, analyzing, and advocating on relevant economic policies that affect the Latino community.
- Analyze emerging public policy issues and trends, including those reported by the Affiliate Network, and produce UnidosUS policy publications including issue briefs, white papers, conference papers, presentations, and testimony, using primary and secondary research sources.
- Serve as UnidosUS’s institutional expert on select economic policy issues, with a focus on policy solutions related to reforming banking and lending policies and consumer finance policy.
- Support efforts to raise wages, improving housing affordability for Latinos, and defending and expanding tax provisions that benefit Latino working families.
- Represent UnidosUS in high-visibility forums, including meetings with congressional staff, policymakers, issue experts and stakeholders, national conferences, and the media.
- Lead and participate in coalitions of experts and advocates on select economic policy issues.
- Provide strategic policy recommendations, as appropriate, to UnidosUS leadership, including the organization’s Cabinet and the President and CEO.
- Bachelor’s degree required, and master’s degree preferred.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of policy analysis experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of policy analysis, with a demonstrated ability to analyze and develop new policy ideas, is required.
- In-depth knowledge of economic policy issues, including those related to banking, consumer finance policy, housing, or tax policy required.
- Extensive and strong writing ability, including developing and writing articles, studies, reports, or other publicly available documents is required.
- Experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as coalition meetings, congressional briefings, major conferences, and with the media.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization or on Capitol Hill a plus.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values
(Excellence, Accountability, Respeto).
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino non-profit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in non-profits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Outstanding project management skills suited to a dynamic work environment with multiple ongoing responsibilities, tight deadlines, and expectations for high-quality work.
- Ability to design and conduct quantitative analysis to examine the efficiency of existing and/or recommended policy solutions, developing written analysis and policy recommendations.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Office 365, statistical software, and data sources.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample will be considered for this opportunity.
SEND COVER LETTER, RÉSUMÉ, AND WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Subject Line: Senior Policy Analyst, Economic Policy Project
Attn: SVP, Policy and Advocacy
No phone calls please!
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion of a background screen.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.