The Senior Vice President, Programs is a re-instated position that is intended to provide coherence to UnidosUS’s major program areas: education, health, housing and financial empowerment, and workforce development.
UnidosUS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
Location for this role is flexible (Washington, DC preferred).
UnidosUS programs represent about one-third of the organization’s portfolio of work and are responsible for generating $35M annually. In addition, programs are the principal point of partnership with UnidosUS Affiliates – a network of almost 300 community-based organizations that deliver services to families, change lives, and strengthen communities. Therefore, strong knowledge of and commitment to local leadership and community-driven solutions is essential. The focus of this position is on partnering with members of the UnidosUS Leadership Team on program development, evaluation, growth, and reach – specifically, strategic scaling of proven practices for impact. In the current climate, the ideal leader will also bring proven experience with securing and administering federal funding.
Success in this role requires extensive experience in program design, development, and evaluation; experience with scaling programs; knowledge of national program design and implementation; collaborative leadership with a focus on impact and strategic thinking; strong relationship and management skills; proven fundraising experience with private philanthropy and federal agencies; and ability to communicate effectively within and outside of UnidosUS.
On an organizational level, this position requires collaboration with Vice President colleagues across programs, policy and advocacy, and other functions, like Affiliate Engagement, Resource Development, and Communications and Marketing. The SVP, Programs will oversee the work of three Vice Presidents and one Principal and be a part of the CEO Cabinet that drives the overall strategy for the organization.
Responsibilities Will Include:
Strategic Coherence, Measurement of Impact, and Growth
- Provide overall strategic oversight of UnidosUS programming, ensuring its alignment with and advancement of our vision, mission, and values, including our commitment to closing gaps in our major issue areas and moving the needle for Latinos.
- Oversee UnidosUS’s program teams, ensuring that design, implementation, and execution are aligned with strategic goals, as well as our vision, mission, and values. Ensure integration and collaboration across all programs to leverage teamwork, maximize resources, share best practices, and deliver top quality, value-added outcomes for Affiliates and partners.
- Ensure that each program has a well-developed theory of change that aligns with UnidosUS’s organizational strategy.
- Ensure consistency among programs with respect to fundraising, administering resources to achieve program goals, implementing systems for evaluation and measurement of impact, and communications.
- Drive integrated and efficient decision-making and accountability among UnidosUS program teams.
Collaborative Leadership and Management for Growth
- Provide strategic support and guidance to senior leaders and facilitate and leverage their expertise for impact.
- Lead change management efforts.
- Collaborate with SVP, Policy & Advocacy, to align issue content for impact.
- Foster cross-team collaboration to enhance UnidosUS impact on specific issues.
- Promote a culture of mutual respect, collaboration, high performance, continuous improvement, and execution of all activities in accordance with UnidosUS’s values, policies, standards, and procedures.
- Maintain and foster relationships with current and potential partners, funders/donors, federal governmental officials, and other key stakeholders.
- Engage with Cabinet in the development and alignment of UnidosUS’s overall strategy, goals and objectives, as well as in the overall management of the organization, including activities and processes related to budgeting, prioritizing, and addressing program and policy matters.
- Engage with Cabinet and Leadership Team, Board, and organization as a whole to communicate effectively to internal and external audiences about our program work and impact.
Diversified Fundraising and Fiscal Management
- Contribute to overall fundraising efforts and fiscal management, including identifying and seize timely and mission-appropriate and impact-driven opportunities.
- Identify, secure and manage current and new federal funding.
- Develop and manage organizational budgets to support organizational strategy and growth.
The Senior Vice President, Programs will be an expansive thinker with the ability to understand the complexity and interdisciplinary nature of UnidosUS and serve as the connective tissue across programmatic areas. With a laser focus on growth and scaling, they will be experienced at implementing concrete policies and best practices designed to help an organization reach these goals. Bringing a deep understanding of both evaluation strategy and execution, the SVP, Programs will be a lifelong learner who brings an equity lens to the work, a deep respect for listening to the voice of community and a commitment to developing leaders internally who reflect these values. With enthusiasm and a positive approach, they will be highly emotionally intelligent and will serve as an authentic ambassador for the organization in all interactions.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, a successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to UnidosUS’s mission, and commitment to racial equity for Latinos and leveraging our programs to close structural inequalities.
- Exceptional knowledge of best practices for program work in UnidosUS major areas that address closing structural gaps.
- Keen business acumen, as well as demonstrated in-depth knowledge of and experience in the development and execution of complex competitive proposal development, operational and management processes, e.g., program and project planning and management, budgeting, financial management, as well as related process improvement, business development, and change management strategies.
- Excellent organizational, facilitation, collaboration, and analytical skills, as well as a demonstrated propensity to be creative, proactive, and self -motivated in the execution and completion of assigned accountabilities.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to develop/deliver presentations to varied audiences in various settings and plan, lead and facilitate group meetings and issue teams. Must be able to translate and present complex information into a meaningful, understandable, and credible context for decision-making.
- A high level of confidence, integrity, cultural sensitivity, and exceptional interpersonal skills, as well as a professional executive presence, for effectively engaging and interacting with and influencing others, including key stakeholders and decision makers internal and external to UnidosUS, as well as for building/fostering relationships and meeting public speaking/presentation requirements. Must demonstrate high standards of tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility and be decisive and results-oriented while fostering a culture of inclusion and equity in balancing varying considerations/priorities, as well as the ability to demonstrate sound judgment, political savvy, and critical thinking relative to complex problem solving/resolution at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Highly effective and flexible leadership skills relative to staff development, management, and retention and achieving results through fostering the initiative and abilities of others.