The UCC Housing Counselor will report to the UCC Program Manager and contribute by providing housing and financial literacy counseling to clients consistent with the organization’s policies, procedures, and quality standards.
This person will encourage individuals to take the right steps towards positive financial change. UnidosUS implemented a small, non-traditional, call center located in Arizona that connects clients to our network of community-based organizations which serves as our workforce by offering telephone and virtual counseling sessions. This position will be hybrid and based in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Able to provide services on the phone to resolve client issues and share the benefits of our programs and connect clients to our network of providers.
- Conduct one-on-one housing counseling via phone with clients referred to the UCC concerning the following:
- Pre-purchase counseling
- Foreclosure counseling
- Post-modification counseling
- Financial capability counseling
- Assess the client’s financial situation.
- Assist clients in developing a budget and setting financial goals.
- Produce written action plans that support the course of action and promote the client’s best interests and choice of action.
- Motivate clients to implement the established plan.
- Manage client caseload, to include:
- Following up with clients through the duration of the program.
- Develop strategies for addressing financial objectives.
- Interact with clients, in a professional, responsive, helpful, and positive manner.
- Provide additional consultation, resources, and guidance on finance and housing issues.
- Ensure client files are complete with required documentation, signed disclosures/release forms, proper case management data entry, etc.
- Participate in staff meetings and training as scheduled.
- Interact with staff, funding partners, and clients helpfully and positively.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience working as a Housing Counselor; or three (3) to five (5) years of experience with demonstrated skills in credit repair, mortgage lending procedures including loan servicing, and mortgage underwriting concepts, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working as a housing counselor.
- Telephonic or call center experience preferred.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values (Excellence, Respeto, Accountability).
- Familiarity and commitment with the U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit organizations, and the Latino market is a plus.
- Ability to communicate and motivate clients and colleagues to achieve goals.
- Ability to pick up on concepts quickly and exercise appropriate judgment.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proven ability to handle multiple activities and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- At a minimum, intermediate level expertise in MS 365 Suite (Excel, Word, Teams SharePoint.)
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual and able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently is preferred.