UnidosUS is seeking a Vice President of Education and Workforce Development who will be responsible for articulating and aligning the strategic direction for UnidosUS’s education and workforce development programs with the overall organizational strategy and for guiding teams as they execute on plans.
For the Education Program team, this includes leading annual program planning, measuring program effectiveness, and ensuring a robust and diverse set of funder relationships and resources that can support program growth. On the workforce development side, this is a growing area of UnidosUS’s programs portfolio, so responsibilities include assessing the results of pilots to position them for growth in line with the organization’s scaling strategy, seeking funding, and developing the team expertise to drive and scale the work.
Success in this role requires extensive experience with programs and knowledge of policies that improve Latino education and economic outcomes; collaborative leadership with a focus on impact and strategic thinking; strong relationship and program management skills; proven fundraising experience with private philanthropy and federal agencies; and ability to communicate effectively within and outside of UnidosUS. On an organizational level, this position requires collaboration with the senior management team to integrate cross-program activities, policy and advocacy, and other functions, like Affiliate Engagement, Resource Development, and Communications and Marketing, toward impact. This person will report to the Chief Operating Officer and will be based in Los Angeles, CA; Phoenix, AZ; San Antonio, TX; Chicago, IL; or Washington, DC.
Planning and Program Development
- Deep understanding of issues related to Latino education from pre-natal to higher education and issues related to the Latino workforce, to inform UnidosUS’s planning, policy priorities, and partnerships with Affiliates.
- Ability to use knowledge to shape strategic approaches to UnidosUS’s education and workforce development programs that align with organizational strategy and complement policy efforts.
- Expertise and experience in program development, strategic growth, and scaling, specifically in the role of a national intermediary; and ability to enhance and strengthen existing programs to ensure demonstrated and measurable impact.
- Data-driven, familiarity with research and its translation to programs and services.
Leadership and Team Management
- Leadership experience in community-based capacity building, external partnerships, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to lead staff in multiple locations and foster teamwork, provide guidance and strategic support.
- Experience with change management.
- Innovative and collaborative thinker that can identify opportunities for alignment with other colleagues to increase organizational impact.
- Executive experience, especially community-based organization and/or school experience.
- Flexible and supportive.
Fundraising and Budget Management
- Communicate and participate in federal agency activities to ensure access to these resources are maintained.
- Experience in fundraising and fiscal management, including an entrepreneurial ability to identify and seize timely and mission-appropriate and impact-driven opportunities.
- Participate in the outlining and writing of some proposals.
- Collaborate with managers to develop consistent budget management approaches.
- Ensure needed information is available to managers to make decisions.
- Develop, review, monitor, and approve all budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in education administration or economic program management preferred.
- Twenty (20) plus years of relevant experience in the education and/or workforce development fields.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant direct management experience in special education, bilingual/English learner (EL) capacities and expertise.
- Fifteen (15) plus years of supervisory experience required.
- Experience working in a nonprofit setting preferred.
- Preference for candidates who have experience in both areas but will also consider candidates with expertise in one area and demonstrated ability to manage both teams. Specific expertise sought in:
- ECE and K-12
- Community-based workforce development programming, state or local government, or Workforce Investment Board experience
- Experienced approach to work and management with a strong equity lens.
- Experience with scaling and program growth.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values of Excellence, Accountability, Respeto.
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in nonprofits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.